Monday, June 11, 2012

Good - Better - Best

I've been anticipating the starting of this reading all week.  I've read the intro and probably the first chapter before (when I told Megan about it), but that's the extent of my experience with this book.  So I was excited because I loved the introduction before and I knew it had so many awesome quotes and thoughts.  I went to church yesterday and was struck by the many references to things I would be reading that night.  It was like the whole Sunday was in preparation for starting the program for me.  Sunday school was Alma 5 - the "mighty change of heart."  RS was about personal revelation.  And in sacrament, one of my friends gave a talk on revelation as well.

My favorite part of her talk was when she talked about when the Savior asked his disciples to drop their nets and follow Him. She had pondered what was in their nets that they'd just dropped to follow Him.  What is in our nets that we can drop to follow Him? 

"When we put God first, all things fall into their proper place or drop out of our lives." (Pres. Benson)

That was a favorite quote from the introduction.  As I do this program, I am excited to have that spiritual change inside me.  I am excited to have more faith to put God first.  And when that comes, all the unnecessary things in my net will fall out of my life.   For example, maybe I'll be better at prioritizing and reading my scriptures before spending an hour on Pinterest or reading the news or any number of "good" things that still seem to get in the way of the "best" things.  Good - better - best -- I remember that talk from conference a while back.  It's so true. 

"Satan has a powerful tool to use against good people.  It is distraction.  He would have good people fill life with "good things" so there is no room for the essential ones." (Richard G. Scott)

So can you think of anything in your net that needs dropping so you can more fully follow the Savior? 

I can.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED this Mandi. I have never thought of the nets in that way, and now it is something I will never forget. And something I definitely need to consider.

    I'm so glad we're sharing these kinds of thoughts because I SO need them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved the net comparison, that really struck me and made me think about what I need to drop in my life.

    ReplyDelete