Saturday, June 9, 2012

It's Time

For the last few years I’ve been receiving “daily gems” from LDS.org.  Typically it consists of a scripture or a quote from a General Authority.  My inbox has been stormed with 12 step scriptures this past week.  At first I thought it was a fluke, but after several scriptures on humility and being reborn, I accepted it for what it was. 
Maybe the Lord is working on softening my heart in preparation for tomorrow. 
Heavens, I need it. 
Today’s scripture was the icing on my slice of humble pie.
"And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now? Have ye walked, keeping yourselves blameless before God? Could ye say, if ye were called to die at this time, within yourselves, that ye have been sufficiently humble? That your garments have been cleansed and made white through the blood of Christ, who will come to redeem his people from their sins?"
Alma 5:26-27
I have experienced a change of heart and felt the intensity of Christ’s redeeming love.  It’s painfully humbling to admit to not feeling that now.   
This is my third time going through this.  It’s humbling to think that I continually need drastic action and effort on my part to keep myself spiritually healthy.  I thought the first time was magic and everlasting, but nothing is if you don’t keep your end of the bargain, and I never have.  I’m hoping and praying that third time really is a charm.  That the intensity and momentum of everyone joining in and working together on the same thing will create a lifetime of support to encourage one another to keep growing and working towards salvation. 
There has never been a better time to do this. 

1 comment:

  1. I so get this, Megan. I remember flying home from the California part of my mission and writing down some personal life commitments that I completely failed on within a few short years. Sometimes I especially curse myself because I feel so, so blessed. How can I not be doing so, so much more??

    Humility is so important. And I think consistency and openness are key to permanent change. If something is important to you, you talk about it and are open with those closest to you. I think the open communication will be good for all of us!

    ReplyDelete