Sunday, June 17, 2012

Tonight's meeting was scary because Jim and Amy did not go but I forged on.  It's like Tom said, I did it for all of you. Father's Day left our meeting a little sparse - only 5 total. 
   It really struck me that the 12 step program is the "12 steps to recovery".  I need this.  Also our facillitator told about a time in his "recovery" when he was angry about his wife reminding him of a drug test he had promised to take.  Now, he knew it would be clean and he knew that he had promised but he felt like he was doing fine. He resented her asking.  Realization hit him that he needed to go back to step 1 and be honest about his pride.  After his story he told us that if you want this program to work that you need to be honest. He suggested that you open up your view of honesty; view it from all aspects.  He had been honest about his drug use but not honest about his false feelings of now being able to handle it on his own. The need to depend on the Lord, his wife and others was diminishing.  I listened intently because I have been guilty of this independent pride.
   I would like to jump back to Day 7 in the "Delivered" book.  It talks about Moses being in the presence of God and "witnessing to us the tremendous contrast in power, glory and strength between God and man".  Realizing that the apostles and prophets today know this from experience also helps me understand their lives.  They seem so at peace and loving; their understanding is beyond mine. They are humble because of their understanding of the nature of God. 
   My journey this week has been "humility".  This humility has brought honesty to my own search for recovery. I just want to let you all know that I am in this with you forever.
  

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you still went, Cyndee. And I love what you shared from that man's story. I've been thinking so much about defensiveness lately. It is our knee jerk reaction so often, but the complete opposite of Humility.

    ReplyDelete