I loved this quote from President Ezra Taft Benson in the ARP workbook:
“Men and women who turn their lives
over to God will discover that He can make a lot more out of their lives than
they can. He will deepen their joys,
expand their vision, quicken their minds, strengthen their muscles, lift their
spirits, multiply their blessings, increase their opportunities, comfort their
souls, raise up friends, and pour out peace.
Whoever will lose his life in the service of God will find eternal life.”
This is the end product I would love to see more abundantly. I want an improved and Real relationship with my Heavenly Father. Those promised blessings are profound and reach far beyond the spiritual aspect of life - physical, mental, social and emotional welfare are also at stake.
I pondered over this at the meeting, and then in my book reading, I was particularly struck by the author's point about spiritual and physical changes. We are spiritual creatures, so any physical (emotional, mental or social) change we try to make MUST be accompanied or preceded by a spiritual change. That was something I need to hear. We must create ourselves spiritually before the blessings pour into the other aspects of our lives.
Can I just say how much I love hearing other insights into this program. It just validates my love and testimony I have for this. EVERYONE needs it. Love the Benson quote. I don't think we always realize how our physical health can be tied so directly to our spiritual health. This is a concept that I find so interesting.
ReplyDeleteLove that quote. And I must say that the whole spiritual/physical creation was intriguing to me as well. It made me think of the temple. It also set me off for the scripture for today about solving problems spiritually vs carnally (physically). Creating the "new you" must be done spiritually before physically - "the Lord works from the inside out."
ReplyDeletep.s. I wish I could be as eloquent as you in expressing my feelings, but I'm not. =)